This week my manager pulled me off of my turnstile to talk. What we ended up doing was The Basics Walk. First I was asked what the four Disney Basics are, then we walked around Blizzard Beach and we observed cast members performing their jobs. We would watch for about five minutes and then I explained what the cast members were doing well in keeping with the basics and what they were doing that was not in keeping with the basics.
We observed life guards, quick service food and beverage, and the turnstile cast members. At the end of the walk I was asked what I think I do well and what areas I could improve on. I explained that I felt that I could do a better job in engaging in conversation with the guests as they went through my turnstile. The first two weeks or so I was focused on working the turnstile and understanding how it worked and knowing what procedures to follow in each situation. This meant that I wasn't as talkative as I could have been during this time. However, now that working the turnstile is second nature I am much more engaging with guests and talk to every guest that comes through my line and I try to personalize each conversation based on what the guest is wearing.
This was the third time that I have been taught the Basics. First at my Traditions class, second at my Forecast Blizzard class, and the third on my Basics Walk. This is just reaffirming that The Basics really do matter to the company and they want their cast members to follow through on them. Many companies will say they want their employees to do certain things but only tell them the one time. In my 5 weeks at Disney I have been reminded of the Basics every day. Whether it be in the classes or the signs that are posted in the bask stage areas with the Basics listed.
No comments:
Post a Comment